Hiawasse to Hot Springs

I've made it 272 miles on my journey to Maine so far so I might as well give an update on my recent adventures. Shortly after Hiawassee I was having some ankle problems in my left Achilles. I stilled pushed past the state line and crossed into North Carolina and shortly after that hit my 100 mile marker! At mile 109 I stopped in to visit my Aunt and Uncle for a much needed zero day to rest my feet. After getting new shoes and calling my cousin for medical advice I learned that I had plantar fasciitis and that was the cause of my pain. I started carrying a tennis ball and was rolling my foot every night and morning until the pain was gone. Then it was back on the trail. Soon the miles started flying by again. I was quickly approaching the Great Smoky National Park when I started hiking with a group of about 6 people. The company was greatly appreciated as we got rained on about every day that we hiked through the park. We pushed through it and made it to the top of Clingmans Dome and were treated to some amazing views from the top of the Appalachian Trail. Half a mile down from the summit we hit the 200 mile marker. We started our descent out of the Smokys and stayed at a much lower elevation but still had amazing views through the fog and clouds. After one 20 mile day we hiked in 3.4 miles to get to Hot Springs North Carolina for a huge breakfast and resupply. Today we are hitting the trail again in our journey north. The mountains and views I've seen so far have been amazing and are something I will never forget but I am anxiously waiting to see what else this beautiful trail has in store for me in the miles to come. Next stop Erwin Tennessee!

Comments

Popular Posts